Getting a Ph.D. is an important step in every student’s life and if you are interested in studying in the United Kingdom, then we have some great news to share with you. Commonwealth has announced that it will now accept applications for the Commonwealth Ph.D. Scholarships in 2020 that will take place in the United Kingdom.
This is a great opportunity for Ph.D. students because the Commonwealth scholarships are designed for candidates that come from least developed countries or fragile states and it’s providing them with the chance to access a full-time doctoral study at a prestigious university from the United Kingdom.
We also want to mention that the Commonwealth is comprised of 53 independent and equal sovereign states which make the Commonwealth home to more than 2.4 billion people. Commonwealth also includes both advanced economies and developing countries. Nonetheless, let’s go ahead and check out which are the benefits that winning a Commonwealth Ph.D. Scholarship in 2020 will give students.
Commonwealth Ph.D. Scholarships in 2020: Benefits
- Approved airfare from your home country to the UK and return at the end of your award (the CSC will not reimburse the cost of fares for dependants, nor the cost of journeys made before your award is confirmed)
- Stipend (living allowance) at the rate of £1,110 per month, or £1,362 per month for those at universities in the London metropolitan area (rates quoted at 2019-2020 levels)
- Warm clothing allowance, where applicable
- Study travel grant towards the cost of study-related travel within the UK or overseas
- Provision towards the cost of fieldwork undertaken overseas (usually the cost of one economy class return airfare to your fieldwork location), where approved
- Paid mid-term visit (airfare) to your home country (unless you have claimed (or intend to claim) spouse and/or child allowances during your scholarship, or have received a return airfare to your home country for fieldwork)
- Family allowances, as follows (rates quoted at 2019-2020 levels)
- If you are accompanied by your spouse but no children: spouse allowance of £239 per month for a maximum period of nine months, if you and your spouse are living together at the same address in the UK (unless your spouse is also in receipt of a scholarship; other conditions also apply)
- If you are accompanied by your spouse and children: spouse allowance of £239 per month and child allowance of £239 per month for the first child, and £117 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16, if your spouse and children are living with you at the same address in the UK (unless your spouse is also in receipt of a scholarship; other conditions also apply)
- If you are accompanied by your children but no spouse: child allowance of £476 per month for the first child, and £117 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16, if your children are living with you at the same address in the UK.
Commonwealth Ph.D. Scholarships in 2020: Criteria
- Be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country, or be a British Protected Person
- Be permanently resident in an eligible Commonwealth country
- Be available to start your academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September/October 2020
- By September 2020, hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) honor standard, or a second class degree (2:2) and a relevant postgraduate qualification (a Master’s degree)
- Not be registered for a Ph.D., or an MPhil leading to a Ph.D., at a UK university before September/October 2020
- Not have commenced and currently registered for a Ph.D., or an MPhil leading to a Ph.D., in your home country or elsewhere
- Have the support of a potential supervisor from at least one UK university listed in your application form
- Have provided all supporting documentation in the required format
- Be unable to afford to study in the UK without this scholarship
Bangladesh, Cameroon, The Gambia, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Pakistan, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Tanzania, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Zambia.
Official Letter and Deadline
The last thing that we want to mention is that the deadline for the Commonwealth PhD Scholarships in 2020 is October 20nd, 2019. In addition, we are advising everyone to visit the official website where you can fill in your online application.