A cover letter is used to accompany your resume when you send it to your potential employer. A resume includes your candidature information along with academic record. If you are an engineer then your engineering resume will include more data like skill sets, certifications and professional courses you took.
Cover Letter: Your First Opportunity to Introduce Yourself
The following pages include sample cover letter layouts to correspond with the resumes included in the previous Pre-Placement section. When typing your cover letter:
- Use the parts indicated on letter sample 1
- Size 12 font
- Double space between parts of the letter
- Use “Full block” style which means do not indent paragraphs
- Include “2 Point Punctuation” which means type a colon (:) after the salutation (e.g. Dear Mrs. Jones:) and a comma (,) after the complimentary closing (e.g. Yours truly,
When writing your cover letter, include the following sections:
- Paragraph 1 – Introduction and purpose for writing
- Middle Section – Summary of Achievements written as a bulleted list or as a paragraph. Include personal characteristics and particular abilities or interests. Link experiences or interests to the needs of the placement.
- Final Paragraph – Interview requested and how to be reached. Thank you to the reader. Stress how skills will benefit company.
Cover Letter Example for Students Review Example 1
September 7, 2013
Mrs. Minco Spruce
Dayknight high Supervisor
85 Chrome Street, South
Dear Mrs. Dean:
My love of working with children and my experience babysitting and volunteering at various summer camps, has led me to apply for a Co-op position with Sunshine Daycare. I am currently a grade 11 student at St. David Catholic Secondary School hoping to combine my love of sports with caring for children. I am an avid athlete and am taking my Specialist High Skills Major in Sports.
These are some of the highlights of my experiences:
• I have a Babysitting Certificate, WHMIS training through my part-time job at McDonald’s and First Aid, CPR training and a Customer Service Certificate acquired through the Specialist High Skills Major program at school.
• Since I was 12, I have regularly babysat children from infancy to 6 years of age. Parents often trusted me to look after their children for full days during the summer months.
• For the past two summers I have volunteered for several weeks at the University of Waterloo Experience Day Camp, where I helped organize activities for the campers.
I have included a copy of my resume which provides more details about my skills and qualifications. You can reach me at home: Your contact info here Number or on my cell phone any time after
3 p.m. at ___________ to arrange an interview. Thank you for your time and consideration.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Cover Letter Example 2 for Students View
September 7, 2013
Fund Sports Park
100 King Street
Kitchener ON N3N 2K4
Dear Ms. Platskito:
I am currently a co-op student at St. Benedict’s Secondary School and am applying for a placement with your organization. I believe I am an excellent candidate for the position of Kitchen Assistant and would be a great member of your team.
I’ve been spending Saturdays volunteering with the “Out of the Cold” program in the kitchen preparing meals. With the skills and knowledge that I have gained, I am confident that I meet your qualifications for a kitchen assistant.
The kitchen in which I currently volunteer is equipped with commercial-standard appliances. It is also strictly run when it comes to safety. Here are a few highlights:
• As part of my Specialist High Skills Major program, I have certifications i First Aid Training, Smart Service and Safe Food Handling.
• I have taken the grade 11 and 12 Hospitality courses with a combined average of 86%.
• My training also extends to the use of kitchen appliances. I have some knowledge of the using a commercial mixer and stove, as well as the deep fryer and hot plates.
I am well-regarded by the adults who volunteer. One gentleman, who is retired and volunteers regularly, remarked that he was pleasantly surprised by my hard work and willingness to take on any task. My current supervisor who runs the program calls me her “star student.”
My resume contains other aspects of my background that might address other questions. If you find my qualifications suitable, I welcome your call to an interview. In the meantime, thank you for considering my application.
Name of Student