Admissions and scholarship offerings in the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) under the Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP) for the academic year 2019 – 2020 are now open. The deadline for submission of applications is the 28th of February 2019 at 11:59 p.m.HKT, GMT +8.
The AFLSP has been set up by the Bai Xian Education Foundation to provide meritorious students with a scholarship opportunity to study in a foreign country within the Asian region. It is administered by the Bai Xian Asia Institute (BXAI). Students can study at any one of the top six universities of Asia; HKUST, Kyoto University, Zhejiang University, Peking University, Waseda University, and Hitotsubashi University.
At the HKUST, 10 scholarships are given out annually under the Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP) to Asian students who wish to pursue a full-time postgraduate research program or a full-time postgraduate taught the program. The HKUST – AFLSP provides a full scholarship and students can avail of the scholarship benefits all through the prescribed study period.
Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP) Coverage & benefits in HKUST
As stated previously the HKUST – Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP) provides a full scholarship which covers the cost of tuition, accommodation, and living over the prescribed period of the course of study opted for by the student.
The Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP) scholarship packages for the study programs supported at HKUST are given below.
- Master’s Programs in Arts and Science (M.A./M.Sc.) – All tuition fees and an annual sum of HKD 97188 (USD 12500) toward accommodation and living expenses.
- Doctorate Programs (Ph.D.) – A full scholarship amounting to an annual sum of HKD 216000 (USD 27781) for a period of not more than 4 years.
- Master of Philosophy Programs (M.Phil.) – A full scholarship amounting to an annual sum of HKD 216000 (USD 27781) for a period not exceeding 2 years.
For all the above programs the BXAI provides an annual sum not exceeding USD 25000, which is capped at a maximum of USD 50000 per student. All additional amounts are paid by the HKUST.
Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP) Eligibility Criteria for HKUST – AFLSP
Students wishing to get admitted to a course of study under the HKUST – Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP) have to check to see if they fulfill the prescribed eligibility criteria mentioned below.
- Applicants have to be new to the course of study that they are applying for at HKUST and should originate from South Asia (excluding Hong Kong), East Asia, and Southeast Asia, with Japanese students being given priority.
- Applicants should be highly proficient in the English language.
- Applicants should have the following personal qualities;
- They should be compassionate and be motivated to serve,
- They should possess strong moral principals
- They should be inclined toward learning and understanding about different cultures and the people of different countries.
Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP) Requirements
Students who are admitted to the HKUST under the Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP) have to fulfill the following requirements as part of their scholarship obligations.
- Students have to agree to attend a 3 week long Summer Program organized by BXAI.
- The HKUST also offers certain programs for students under the Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP) and requires student’s attendance at these programs. Programs conducted include;
- Talks on leadership and other activities that help inculcate leadership qualities in students.
- Events conducted off-campus such as seminars and visits to different places aimed at enriching the students’ experiences of the cultural, historical and economic aspects of Asian nations.
How to apply for Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP) in HKUST in 5 Steps
A student can apply HKUST – Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP) in 5 simple steps.
- Explore Prospects
Students wishing to apply for a study course at the HKUST should look through the various PG Programs being offered in their areas of interest. Students should also check to see whether they meet the eligibility criteria laid out by HKUST.
- Pre-application Prep
A student wishing to apply to the HKUST – Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP) should first check to confirm that he/she has not missed the application deadlines. He/she should find out what the fees for his/her choice of course of study would be. Some universities/educational institutions have different fees for local and foreign students. He/she should also check for the document requirements and procure the documents and have them in hand. The documents should be scanned and ready for upload. You may require to prepare a resume, SOP, motivation letter, study plan or research proposal as well.
- Apply online on HKUST for Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP)
For a student to apply online, an applicant has to first create an online account at the Online Admission System. He/she must then fill in the online application form and submit it before the deadline. Then the application fees will have to be paid. If the student has any interviews scheduled he/she should attend the same. The student should check for any emails from HKUST.
- Check the status of the application
The student should check the online admission system for updates on the status of his/her application every now and then.
- Accept an offer from HKUST
Once a student receives an offer under the HKUST – Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP) then the applicant has to confirm his/her acceptance of the same in the following manner;
- Confirm receipt of the offer and pay a sum as a deposit.
- Applicant has to apply for a student’s visa to study in Hong Kong.
- Submit educational qualification documentation in original before the deadline mentioned in the offer letter.
- The student will receive an invitation to register at HKUST. The applicant has to register for his/her chosen course as per the given instructions.